Sunday, February 20, 2011

Questions that occupy me.

Finding myself incompetent to allocate my given time, I cannot write awesome short-stories like my friend (ok, I will be honest, maybe time is not the only factor). He is a true talent in my opinion. Partly the fact that I admire him as a friend can eliminate my eligibility to be a nonpartisan critic, but nevertheless I am a person just like any other, a true admirer of beauty. Enough about him and my excuse, I would like to share gist of thoughts that occupy me these days. Remember, I quit drinking and most of my social life which dwelled on indulgence of alcohol and vain worries, or for me it seemed. Naturally, I have more time to worry about which seems harder to solve.

Why do we live as if we are going to live forever?
Why do we live as if more wealth will lead to successful life?
And for that such purpose, why do we neglect our present?
For that matter, are we, the human race, designed to live in the past, present, or future?
Why do we think to ourselves, if I was in that admiring person's shoes, my life will be complete?
And ungratefully oblivious to the fact that we are at present living someone else's dream?
When did we become so self-centered? Did the society persuade us into believing so, or the other way around?
Why do we habitually sponsor the phrase, "only God can judge me" when we don't actually believe in Him?
Also, why do we think we are so special that only God can judge us when we judge others perpetually (how they look, what family, school, occupation, social status they come from?).

But for those who are rare in this world, who give up the "norms" of modern "philosophy" of humanity, I am honestly blown by the fact that they gave up "successful" life for the cause of others' welfare. What did they read? What they think? What did they eat? Who are their parents? What was their childhood like? What they believe in? What was their disease? What the hell was wrong with them? I am struggling to know, and yet I am not fully convicted. My mind's solitary confinement has led me to turn my perspectives to these rare few, while this would not have happened if I was still getting wasted by my past preference of life. I am not saying I am convicted to do and know what's better in life, nor do I think different people's life motivations are not legit. But let's stop and think about above questions and critically compare ourselves amongst each other.

"I want a big house, I want a fast car, I want the job, I want a trophy wife, I want to be famous, I want to be rich, I want to live long," says the most.

"I want you to have shelter, I want you be able to walk, I want you to have a job, I want you to have love, I want you to be treated with respect, I want you to have foods for your family, I want you to be healthy, I want you to live life," says the rare few.



Priest and doctor: Lee, Tae-suk

Dr. Albert Schuweitzer
Right: Jim Elliot and his friends



Jesus

(the few of the fews)

3 comments:

  1. Questions that haunt me everyday.

    Thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  2. @John i feel you
    @이성민 today we will, too bad you have to go back

    ReplyDelete