Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2011 AFC Semi-Final: S.Korea vs. Japan

    
       So apparently, Japan was dominant in the first half. Their passes were clear and direct. It also seemed like OT against Iran had its full toll on South Korea. Either way, the game was intense not because the plays were immaculate, rather because they are their true nemesis. Any victory from sports competition between these two nations is commensurable to their patriotism. In truth, Japan displayed superior skills in every aspects. But the Korean mentality persisted and they led, trailed, and caught up with Japan, a very dramatic tie during the injury time in second overtime. To my disappointment, however, Chungyong Lee did not play up to his expectation. To my expectation, captain Park was truly an EPL player. Nonetheless, penalty shoot-out was very disappointing and I personally shifted responsibility to the head coach Cho. Why would he list young, less-experienced players to shoot first? It beats me, and it did all night during my sleeping hours. Well, I am not a hater and I congratulate Japan for their advancement. If anything, I wish that they take the AFC. Football (or soccer) is indeed an awesome sports and I hope that the jinx of S. Korea's performance in AFC will soon end. How does a semi-finalist in World Cup not win one AFC?

1 comment: